Browse an Online Copy of the V2.002 Faceters Companion CD
Download a Compressed Freeware Copy of the V2.002 Faceters Companion CD
The OPLC Faceters Companion V2.002 CD is available here as downloadable freeware. It requires 32-bit Windows ('95 and later) and a "Mozilla" class web browser (Microsoft Explorer or Netscape Navigator) and is designed for viewing using 800x600 video resolution and true (16M) color. To obtain the online file set:
- Download and run companion.exe, which is a self extracting, Zip compressed image of the CD (approximately 23.5MB compressed). This installer will create a "C:\Faceters Companion CD" folder on your hard drive (or allow you to specify an alternate location) and install a full set of decompressed CD files there. If you have a slow or ratty Internet connection, you might want to install a download manager which will allow you to recover from disconnects without having to begin downloading again from scratch.
- The folder "C:\Faceters Companion CD" (or your specified alternate install location) will contain 1492 files in 145 sub-folders after a successful download and installation.
- To access the CD content, you do not need to own a burner to transfer these files to a CD. The content is formatted with HTML and you can browse it with your web browser by opening the "index.html" file in the root directory of the install folder on your hard drive. The uncompressed file set occupies approximately 32.2MB. Installing and browsing the CD file set directly on your hard drive will provide the snappiest performance and is recommended unless your hard drive is space constrained.
Burning copies on CD:
- If you are using formatted CD-RW media, you could decompress and install the self extracting, Zip compressed CD image directly to your RW media as an alternative to initially decompressing and installing on your hard drive.
- To make a CD-R from the downloaded and decompressed file set, copy and burn all of the sub-folders and files contained in "C:\Faceters Companion CD" (or your specified alternate install location) to your CD-R media. (Note: Do not copy the "C:\Faceters Companion CD" folder itself to your CD - only the files and sub-folders installed and contained within it!)
- A properly duplicated and burned CD will contain these 17 sub-folders and 11 files in its root directory:
- Among the 11 files in the root directory will be "autorun.exe" and "autorun.inf". These are CD autoboot files which will cause the user's system to launch its default web browser and open the CD index page when the CD is inserted in the CD drive.
- You may make copies of this CD for fellow hobbyists and other interested parties - consult the copy permission page on the CD for copy permission stipulations and further details.
- If you want to make a deluxe copy of the Faceters Companion CD, open this greyscale (cd_cover_v2002.gif) or full color (cd_cover_v2002.bmp) bitmap graphic file with a paint program and print it to make a cover insert for a CD jewel case. Print the graphic out at 100% (full size) using "landscape" orientation on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper and cut out. (These jewel case insert graphic files are also included in the "cover_graphics" sub-folder in the root directory of the CD.)
Enjoy your OPLC Faceters Companion V2.002 CD and keep on rock'n!